What to Do on National Hire a Veteran Day
July 25th is National Hire a Veteran Day As Veterans leave the armed forces, our nation’s heroes suddenly find themselves without a job. For many Veterans it can be hard to know where to start in the job force as they reintegrate back into society. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, approximately in the United States were unemployed in 2021.
National Hire a Veteran Day aims to make a difference by connecting Veterans with potential job opportunities and highlighting Veteran-owned businesses. Here’s what you can do to help participate in making that difference.
Why Hire a Veteran?
While there are still many unemployed Veterans, it seems that the unemployment rate is trending downwards.
In 2021, the Veteran unemployment rate was only 4.4%, lower than the nonVeteran rate of 5.3%. We would like to see that number continue to decrease and we believe that being a Veteran does not – and should not – diminish your value in the workforce.
In fact, Veterans can gain skills and knowledge while in the military that are highly beneficial to a workplace environment. Here are just a few reasons why hiring a Veteran may be in your company’s best interest:
- Disciplined: A Veteran’s training in the military can make them dependable and hardworking—two qualities you wish to find in any job applicant. The are competent in taking direction and are committed to getting the job done right.
- Resilient: Being in the armed forces is a high-pressure gig, but quality performance is always a top priority. Veterans will know how to prioritize their tasks in fast paced or high risk environments.
- Respectful: Because Veterans learn to follow a clear chain of command and a strict code of conduct during their time in the military, they understand the importance of respecting their superiors. Veterans understand the top-down business model and can blend well with different management styles. They are often receptive of task delegation and follow direction well.
- Great Leaders: Veteran hires are great investments because of their ability to lead. The military teaches people to lead by example and instills the essential skills of delegation and inspiration. No matter what position you hire a Veteran for, they make ideal candidates for leadership roles.
4 Tips for Hiring Veterans
Veterans returning home after time in service are coming back with a different perspective.
This altered perspective can make entering the workforce difficult for some. Fortunately, there are ways you can improve the Veteran hiring experience. Here are four tips to follow when hiring a Veteran.
1. Utilize Available Recruiter Resources
2. Establish a Dedicated Mentor
If you have any other Veterans on your team, consider assigning them to be the new Veteran hire’s mentor—they can help ease the transition because they’ve already gone through it themselves.
3. Offer the Right Benefits
Many Veterans may require regular use of health benefits, whether from combat-related injuries or mental health conditions they developed while in the service. Make sure you can connect them to the services they need.
Employer Incentives for Hiring Veterans
Aside from the quality of work Veterans offer, businesses can also enjoy incentives from hiring Veterans.
There are many federal programs, like the Work Opportunity Tax Credit program (WOTC). With the WOTC, companies can receive a tax credit for hiring people from certain targeted groups, which includes qualified Veterans.
Veteran-Owned Businesses You Should Know About
Another great way to support National Hire a Veteran Day in 2022 is to support Veteran-owned businesses.
This may involve buying from Veteran-owned business or creating a network of Veteran resources so Veteran-centered companies can continue to grow and help other Veterans.
How do you find Veteran-owned businesses near you? The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) has a resource that helps you find Veteran-owned businesses in your area.
Hiring Resources for Veterans
There are several organizations with the express purpose of connecting Veterans with job opportunities across the country. Here are just a few resources Veterans can use to make their job search a little easier:
- Hire Veterans – Hire Veterans is the World’s #1 Most Trusted Marketplace to Search and Find Top Jobs for Veterans.
- RecruitMilitary – empowering Veterans and military spouses through meaningful career opportunities
- Veteran’s Employment Center (VA) – Offering the help you need to build your career and find the opportunities that are right for you.
- CareerOneStop – One stop for career exploration, training, and jobs.
- Feds hire vets is your single site for Federal employment information for Veterans, transitioning military service members, their families, and Federal hiring officials.
- Hire Heroes USA
- Helps U.S. military members, Veterans, and military spouses find new careers.